There can be no arguing that giving to charity is a good thing, but I often come across those people that refuse to citing the reason for not giving being that it doesn’t get used for what it was intended and most of it goes to those in suits that run them, whilst this might be true for some charities I think that it is dangerous to tar them all with the same brush. I personally give to Cancer Research, which gives 80p in the £1.
This got me thinking firstly as to how much of the money that I give actually gets to those in need and secondly are there any other reasons why people choose not to donate to charity.
Reasons why people don’t give to charity
- They cannot afford to
- The belief that charity begins at home
- Charity overload, with so many charities who are the most deserving?
- They believe that they can offer more than money and would rather donate their time
Reasons why people give to charity
- They believe in the cause, maybe because of experience or a loved one’s experience
- It makes them feel good about themselves
- Religious reasons
- Moral obligation